Sunday, May 18, 2008

Him, Myself, and the Other Guy

I wonder if everyone else also perceives the following split, temporal personalities in themselves.

Past Self -- weasel. Does nothing but the bare minimum and always stays up late following his nose and leaving me tired as hell.

Present Self -- martyr. Always dealing with the mess left behind by Past Self. After making it through the mess he left me in, I deserve some time following my nose. So what if I'm up until one million o'clock? Future self will be fiiine.

Future Self -- poor fella.

And so it goes... right round.

4 comments:

Tom Scholes said...

I'll help you kick past self's ass if you want. Regardless whenever I meet present self I think he's a badass mofo that I am glad to know.

Lori said...

I'm with Tom. :) The only self that matters is the present one, regardless of what gifts your past self left for you. While not intending to minimize your frustrations--that's of course human--but I don't think you could've done anything different because here you are. It is what it is...

Alan Tew said...

I just find it interesting how separate the personalities feel, and how I view future self as not me, and someone I can dump on because I don't have to deal with it. It's pretty funny.

Lori said...

Yeah I do that a lot, too--I'm a *huge* procrastinator, always assuming I'll be in the mood to deal with things later. I'm surprised that I'm running late even though I do it every-single-day, or every day at work I'm surprised that I put too much stuff off for the afternoon. Watching myself, it can be funny. But frustrating indeed, and I wonder sometimes if I'll ever figure it out.